Wednesday 19 October 2011

Coming off anti-depressants

I think I've mentioned that I have had postnatal depression (PND or postpartum depression PPD - same thing).  I have pretty much had it since I got pregnat with my first son (I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that I couldn't drink anymore but that's another story for another time), but it got really bad after we moved country while I was pregnant with my second.  Finally in November of last year I went to the Dr and asked to be put on antidepressants after speaking with my PND support group and hearing from them that it would really help.

So I've been on antidepressants for about 11 months.  I have been feeling much better - in fact the meds started working after about 6 weeks and I've definitely returned to 'normal'.  Since I've stopped drinking though, I've realised that I am not really feeling much joy.  I am certainly not depressed or down, but I don't feel that flutter in my chest or stomach, that bit of excitement about life.. or about something that I'm going to do during the day.  My feelings are just sort of level - no real highs. 

Last weekend I felt really down.  Coming in to Friday I was like woopie.  It's the weekend.  Big deal.  Nothing to look forward to anyway... the weekend is just the same as the week only my husband is home.  I don't really get a break - it's not like when I worked and the weekend was relax time... and party time.  Now it's just one big blah of the same ole same ole.  I wondered is this what life is going to be like without drink?  The first two weekends were great because I was on a high from stopping.  But last weekend was nothing spectacular... just the realisation that this is now how life is going to be from now on.

But then I started thinking - I actually have lots of exciting things going on in my life that I love.  I love doing my crafts and sewing, I've been exercising, heck I'm going overseas in a week to see my family... I realised something else was going on.  It wasn't so much that I was down, but the problem was that I wasn't feeling that joy. 

So I decided to start coming off my antidepressants.  I figure that the alcohol was keeping me from getting over that last hump of the depression - keeping me just sort of not really depressed, but not well enough to move on.  After all - alcohol is a depressant.  Yesterday I halved my pill instead of taking a whole one (have to come off antidpressants gradually) so that's what I'll do every second day.  My doctor has told me that the drug I'm on (citalopram) comes out of the system relatively quickly so that is good news for me.

I'm really looking forward to feeling joy again.  It's been quite a long time.  I'll post when it happens!

2 comments:

  1. I swapped my anti-depresents for a pack of smokes when I was 19. Never had them since although I probably might have needed them.
    Do what you have to do, just know that you have to be free and positive and inspired if you want to get by - depression is such a tiresome curse we have to do ANYTHING to shake it.
    Exercise, research, stretch, swim, drink water - whatever it takes - life is too short.
    Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I enjoyed reading your blog and I wonder how you are???

    We are in similar circumstances and I can relate to your personal struggles. Come and see my blog and we can share our journeys together.
    http://mydepressionchronicles.wordpress.com/

    Daylily


    Daylily2011

    ReplyDelete