Sunday 2 October 2011

I'm so stressed out

Today started off good enough... dropped hubbie at work and took the kids to the mall for a bit of a play and some lunch before taking my youngest to an appointment at 2 pm. ...  The kids fell asleep in the car after lunch and I had brought my book so I was all settled in to read a bit while the kids slept.  I thought I better double check the appointment time for my baby and noticed it was 1pm and not 2.  Ugh, had to race to the hospital to make it there on time and had to wake the boys so we could go in.  I had no 'me time' what-so-ever and had thought I would get some.

We go in the hospital, and the woman at radiology are always quite curt and give a pretty good growl if you are late so I was happy I arrived at 3 minutes to 1.  We had to wait 15 min for the appt, no prob.  We go in and my little guy had to have an ultrasound... this was something they picked up when I was pregnant, he has an enlarged kidney.  It's nothing to be concerned about, they assure me, so I don't worry.  But still, I think it is still very difficult for me to have my youngest have anything wrong with him.  So my oldes (3yrs old) sat very nicely and drew a picture while I held my baby (16 months) as he wriggled about.  The technician was very friendly so that was great, but it took a long time and both of us were (literally) overheated by the end.  It was hard to hold my 12kg 'little' guy as she prodded him.

So we came home and I saw my parents had skyped a few times.  So I reluctantly called them back.  Reluctantly because I knew I was stressed out and I just wanted to take a breather.  But because they had called so many times, I just wanted to make sure everything is ok.  I also know calling at 3pm my time is 10pm their time and that they'll be drunk because they start drinking at 4.  Sure enough, my mom was on to red wine, which is always her last drink of the night, after dinner and after she's had enough white wine.  And don't they start in on me about getting something done before I come visit?  Of course they do. 

Here's the story - we want to baptize baby when we're home but we need a letter from a priest here - which my husband said he'll take care of... Conversation goes something like this:

Them: Have you gotten that letter from the priest yet?
Me: No, but it's on my list
Them: you really need to get it or else you can't get him baptised here
Me:  I said I'd get it
Mom:  I told your dad this would happen and I don't want to upset you but we need that letter
Me: Don't worry about it, I'll get it (I'm getting angrier here). If I don't, then we just won't be able to get him baptised  (wrong thing to say)
Them:  We're dealing with a new priest here and we don't want to call him unless we know you have that letter
Me: I said I'd get it and I would.. I'm 38 years old, I don't need reminders to get things done
Dad:  Well I'm 67 and I need reminders all the time
Me: Well reminding me is ok, but I don't need to be pressured.  I've had a rough day (I go on to explain why - and of course they've already grilled me to 'reassure them' that nothing is wrong with baby)
Them:  Well I guess we just picked a bad day to ask you then (thanks for the support parents, thanks for the comfort and telling me it'll be ok with baby - whatever)
Me: Well I wasn't going to answer because I am having a rough day but I saw you called and sent a bunch of messages so I wanted to make sure everything was ok
Them: We always do that
Me: Yes, but today I wouldn't have answered but you sent messages
Them: We always call a lot

ARRRRRRGGGHHHHH - is this conversation frustrating you as much as it frustrated me??????

No comments:

Post a Comment