Thursday 22 November 2012

My 40th Birthday

So here's something that's been plaguing me.  My 40th birthday is coming up in December.  I always sort of pictured a big blow-out party for it where heaps  of people come and we have a blast.  We don't have 21st's in Canada and my husband and I opted for a small wedding.. .I was looking forward to my 40th because I thought it would be one big bash.

A couple of problems.  The first is that I don't have many friends here.  I had a larger group of acquaintances, but not close friends.  The friends I do have are awesome, very good people, I'm very close to them and we would have lots of fun.  They all know I am addicted to alcohol (why does calling myself an alcoholic still seem weird and fake?).  So the party will only be about 9 people and their kids.  The second problem of course is that there will be no alcohol.  I have no desire to sit around on my birthday and watch other people get pissed.  So I feel like... will this even be a party?  Does 9 people and no alcohol constitute a party??  And 2 of those 9 will have to travel.

But I'm thinking a family bbq/ pool party.  It will be fun.  Probably won't be too lame.  I guess I just like everything else, I have to readjust my thinking.  I just assume it won't be a party without alcohol and loads of drunk people.  Do people even have sober parties?  Anyone out there celebrate a milestone without alcohol??

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rosie been meaning to comment on your posts this week - great that you're at 3 months! That's unbelievable! I was sober on my 40th - only just by a matter of weeks. I had a joint party with my brother-in-law and to be honest I just thought of it as something I had to get through rather than really enjoy. I had too many Red Bulls and overcaffienated myself. It wasn't that fun and was more his party than mine. The best thing I did on my 40th was take a few girlfriends to a day spa and have a pampering day. It was so unbelievably lovely and girly and special. You should try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhh Mrs D - what an awesome suggestion!! I am totally going to think about doing that ... it would be fantastic, something I've wanted to do for ages. Hmm... really good idea!

    You know, it's funny how parallel our lives are. It's my brother-in-law's birthday a week after mine and he asked if I wanted to do a joint party and I feel the same - his party is just something I'm going to have to get through (by reminding myself that I can get up in the morning and not be hungover!!). Ya, I am really going to see if we can do a spa day. Yey! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is the eternal dilemma - will it be fun without alcohol - or will everyone feel awkward around you not drinking.
    Keep going you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete