Tuesday 27 November 2012

Best laid plans

Well so much for accomplishing my to do list yesterday - I didn't even get around to making one!!  You know how it goes, so much on the go.  I need to do my list first thing or the day just takes hold of me and drags me along from one thing to the next.

BUT I did recognise all the things I DID do.  Including a date night with my husband.  First time in I don't even know how long.  We went to see the final chapter in the Twilight saga and man it was awesome!  But man I've never been to the cinema here, and haven't been out at all in the evening since I stopped drinking and the frigging theatre sold alcohol!  As if!!  I walked in and saw a group of women sitting around with their little wine bottles, one obviously well on her way.  Panic!  But whatever, I treated myself to a mocha and my husband and I rolled in to the theatre.  I noticed people coming in and bringing their drinks.  No one made a second trip to the bar during the movie.  I mean I wasn't focussed on this, I was watching the movie...  but when it was done it struck me that had that been 3 months ago, I would've probably suggested we go for dinner first so I could have a drink.  At the very least I would've gotton wine once there and then the movie would've become secondary.  I would've had to go back to the bar.  I would've wanted to get drunk, or at least tipsy.

So glad those days are behind me!  We had such a good time last night :)

2 comments:

  1. Yeah that would have been me. I would have tried to get another wine during the film and probably would have had to wee a couple of times as well. I love how when that little pang comes, like when you saw those women with their little bottles, if you swipe it away rather than let it fester.. after a while you just don't give a toss that you're not drinking. It's resisting that first urge I reckon. Once you've got that habit down pat the not-drinking becomes so much easier. I can't believe you've stopped it's so awesome!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya like the inital 'oh my god they're drinking and I'm here and I'm not' is really only momentary. I remember reading about you going through this when people order drinks at dinner and at the time I loathed the idea of this happening to me for the rest of my life... but now that I'm on the other side I know I would take that inital observations/ feelings associated with it over the actual drink any time... and all the crap that goes along with the drink [for me]. All in all, not too bad for my first time around alcohol. The realisation of how it would actually be for me helps a lot (the several trips to the bar and loo, not caring about the movie etc).

      Thanks for your post :)

      Delete