Wednesday 22 February 2012

It's not only about the alcohol - 30 days of positive change

Of course there are many factors in my life and right now - and especially here - I am focussing on my drinking.  I know this is the biggest factor in my life right now but I also hope to write a bit more about other aspects of my life.  I think I have a pretty good life over all and I like who I am... I have lots of different interests and thoughts on different things.  I do hope to spend some time talking about those.  A part of me feels that if I always talk about the alcohol, I'll always focus on the alcohol.  I didn't want it to be a central part of my life when I was drinking, and I certainly don't want it to be the focal point when I'm not!!

So today I'm talking about something else.  I've been feeling like crap lately.  I know the drinking has been a huge part of that but also a huge part of me not taking care of myself.  I am tired of feeling so horrible/ lethargic/ bloated/ overweight etc etc etc.  No this is not a public flogging, this is just saying where I'm at.  I am now almost back to the weight I was when my second son was born (boo hoo!).

BUT I'm making a change.  My usual method is to say 'Ok no more drinking AND I'm going to cut out sugar, junk food, fizzies, full-fat dairy etc AND I'm going to only eat natural, whole foods'.  Which lasts about a day and then I go insane and I"m guzzling wine all night, have a big binge of food to soak up all that booze and then I'm at Burger King the next day getting a greasy/ sugar fix to make me feel better.

So I'm not going to do that.  But I do want to feel better.  I'm very aware that taking on too much right now is not good for me in my plight against alcohol.  I am also very aware that I have never been this healthy in my life.

I've decided that instead of elimintaing things and making myself feel deprived, I am going to add healthy things to my diet instead.  Thus I've started 30 Days of Positive Change.  I'm on day four and here's how it's looking:

Day 1:  Swap white bread for whole grain bread
Day 2:  Chose low-fat dairy
Day 3:  Drink 4 large glasses of water (measured mine and it works out to 1.2 litres)
Day 4:  Take a multi-vitamin


These things are cumulative - so once I've added it to the list, no going back.  The idea is that it takes 21 days to form a habit so hopefully by the end of these 30 days I'll be well on my way to having made at least some of these things a regular habit that I no longer think about.  I'm going to put this list as a page here to keep me honest (last night I almost caved and almost had white bread with dinner but this will help keep me straight!). 

After the 30 days I will then plan to start cutting out the 'bad' stuff.  But right now, I want to focus on treating myself well and giving myself more - so this mindset is going to help that - and help me not feel deprived.

It's working.  Today I feel really good about myself.  It's my 4th day of not drinking and I am over the withdrawl symptoms I had.. and I'm feeling really good mentally and better a bit physically.  And I'm a bit proud of myself :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey, hope the weekend is treating you kind, how are you going on your healthy resolve? They sound like nice small steps and it's so great you're wanting to take care of yourself. Man I think of some people they just eat shit and smoke and drink and do whatever the fuck they want .... are they happy? Maybe they are. Just seems our brains won't let us do that. (I did lie in bed last night eating a twix though,and watching Idol.. told myself because I wasn't drinking a bottle of chardonnay a twix wouldn't hurt!). xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to focus on the positive.
    go easy on yourself and try not to globally change too quickly.
    sometimes i feel like such a phoney offering advice but my sober trick is going for a walk when i get the chance just to keep the anxiety down and to get some fresh air perspective.
    Oh, and ditch the white bread forever - makes you dumb and placid and other nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete