Thursday 26 July 2012

And yet I still feel guilty

So I'm sticking to my 'maximum alloted drinks' and even to the number of alcohol free days each week.  Sunday I didn't drink.  Monday I did.  I stuck to 8 drinks (ya I know that's a lot but still, heaps less then I had been drinking).  I woke up Tuesday feeling guitly.  Drank Tuesday night.  Woke up Wednesday feeling a bit self-righteous.  Today I woke at 4 and barely slept since.  My feelings today were a mixture of anger at others, self-loathing, feeling there is nothing for me in life, depressed, lonely and the rest. 

I seem to notice this pattern when I drink in successive days.  Like one day is ok.  Two is not.  Three is horrible.  By 4 I hate everyone in my life.  Or at least those closest to me.  I think about leaving it all. 

In the end I know I have to stop drinking.  If I don't, I will be on this ride for eternity.  But you know, I was so tired today and so upset that I was thinking the last thing I need to do is drink.  But then I was also thinking about how much I wanted to drink to forget it all.  We all know that doesn't happen.  I forget for a while but really all I'm doing is stewing in these 'juices'.  I stick to my 8 maximum but all the while I really want more. Life was easier when I quit for 2 months.  I was still miserable but at least my hatred wasn't inwardly directed. 

Life was so much easier when I was amongst university students, or a young single professional in Canada's capital.  But now I have people to answer to.  I'm not living alone.  I know what this is doing.  And it's not even so much what I'm doing to my family, because I try soooo hard to be good. It's what I'm left with at the end of the day when I'm alone. 

The thing is... I can't handle thinking about family parties in the future without alcohol.  I'll be missing out.

Well, maybe not.  The more this continues, the less I see that as a reason to quit drinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment